Franklin home destroyed in Wed. night fire

April 19, 2013

Photo: Franklin Fire and Rescue

Fire officials suspect an outdoor cooking accident involving a grill sparked the blaze Wednesday night that burned down a Franklin home.

Franklin Fire and Rescue was paged to the fire at 238 Hunters Trail around 9:30 p.m. and upon arrival, Lt. Justin Setser says crews found the home in flames, “Once the first fire crews were on scene, they were met with heavy fire on the outside deck area, which had migrated into the house and into the kitchen area. Once the first engines were on scene, they made a quick attack through the carport and into the house, and then got a fairly quick knockdown.”

Fire crews had contained the fire in about an hour and a half.

Fortunately, no one was hurt. The occupants were able to get out safely, but the home was destroyed, “It has a lot of heavy damage in the attic, but we were able to salvage some personal materials for them. The house is pretty much a total loss though; they’ll have to tear down and rebuild,” added Setster.

Setser says extra manpower was brought in due to the large size of the home and fire.

Clarks Chapel, Cullasaja, and Mountain Valley Fire Departments assisted Franklin in the incident.

Crews cleared the scene around midnight.

 

Macon County Weather

Community Calendar

  • October 23, 2014 6:00 pmFREE MEAL AT "THE SERVING SPOON"
  • October 24, 2014 5:30 pmAMERICAN LEGION BINGO
  • October 30, 2014 6:00 pmFREE MEAL AT "THE SERVING SPOON"
  • October 31, 2014 5:30 pmAMERICAN LEGION BINGO
AEC v1.0.4

Images of Macon