Health group concerned about tobacco prevention in NC

January 23, 2014

50 years after the Surgeon General first warned of the dangers of tobacco use—health groups say they’re concerned about what North Carolina is doing to keep its youth from smoking.

Pam Seamans, executive director with the North Carolina Alliance for Health, says a positive program to prevent smoking has ended in the state.

“Just as we were hitting a stride with Tobacco Reality Unfiltered programs and other media efforts, the programs have now been cut. The funding for these really successful and effective measures has dried up.”

The North Carolina Alliance for Health says more has to be done to inform the state’s 100,000 youth entering sixth grade each year.

The group did credit North Carolina for keeping its “quit line” operational.

Last year $1.2 million was appropriated for the Quit Line.

“It only meets about one percent of the need that’s out there. We could expand that program and make it more available to all the individuals who do want to quit smoking.”

 

Macon County Weather

Community Calendar

  • August 28, 2014 6:00 pmFREE MEAL AT "THE SERVING SPOON"
  • August 29, 2014 5:30 pmAMERICAN LEGION BINGO
  • September 4, 2014 6:00 pmFREE MEAL AT "THE SERVING SPOON"
  • September 5, 2014 5:30 pmAMERICAN LEGION BINGO
AEC v1.0.4

Images of Macon